This guide to the WordPress Menu system covers the basic tasks a user may carry out when using the built-in menu editor.
Defining a Menu
You must define a menu before you can add items to it.
1) Login to the WordPress Dashboard.
2) From the ‘Appearance’ menu on the left-hand side of the Dashboard, select the ‘Menus’ option to bring up the Menu Screen.
3) Enter a name for your new menu in the Menu Name box.
4) Click the Create Menu button.
Your new custom menu has now been defined.
Adding Items to a Menu
The Screen Options allow you to choose which items you can use to add to a menu. Certain items, like Posts are hidden by default.
1) Locate the pane entitled Pages.
2) Within this pane, select the View All link to bring up a list of all the currently published Pages on your site.
3) Select the Pages that you want to add by clicking the checkbox next to each Page’s title.
4) Click the Add to Menu button located at the bottom of this pane to add your selection(s) to the menu that you created in the previous step.
5) Scroll back to the Menu Editor.
6) Click the Save Menu button.
Your custom menu has now been saved.
Deleting a Menu Item
1) Locate the menu item that you want to remove in the menu editor window.
2) Click on the arrow icon in the top right-hand corner of the menu item/box to expand it.
3) Click on the Remove link. The menu item/box will be immediately removed.
4) Click the Save Menu button to save your changes.
Customizing Menu Items
The Navigation Label
This field specifies the title of the item on your custom menu. This is what your visitors will see when they visit your site/blog.
The Title Attribute
This field specifies the Alternative (‘Alt’) text for the menu item. This text will be displayed when a user’s mouse hovers over a menu item.
1) Click on the arrow in the top right-hand corner of the menu item to expand it.
2) Enter the values for the Navigation Label and Title Attribute that you want to assign to the item.
3) Click the Save Menu button to save your changes.
Changing the Order & Creating Sub-Menus
At any time, you can change the order and placement of menu items by simply dragging and dropping the items to change their order. To create sub-menus or “drop-down” style menus, drag individual items to the right to “nest” them under a given parent tab. You can undo this by dragging them to the left.
Be sure to click Save Menu to save any changes to your custom menu.